11.12.2007

moving in reverse

I'm not exactly a 'speed demon'.

In fact, if you've ever had the fortuity of witnessing me in the act of running, you'll know that me and speed? Well let's just say we've never been intimately involved. I don't know if we've ever actually been formally introduced.

No one has ever accused me of running fast.

But far? I can do far. Or, I should say I'm learning to do far.

I've always wanted to run far. I don't know why 'far' is a place I've always wanted to go. But I know that the closer I get to that place the more urgent it seems to get there.

You discover a lot about yourself when you're training your body to run distance. You learn you can do things you never dreamed you could do. You will push through pain, fatigue, temperatures so hot you think you'll melt. You will overcome thoughts of doubt, uncertainty, insecurity. You'll battle so many things, yet your biggest opponent will always be yourself. Which is cool, really. Cause the winner will always be ... you.

The biggest lesson I've learned so far from this experience, is this:

  • Becoming aware of your physical abilities.
  • Seeing (like really recognizing) your true potential.
  • Conquering the (many) mental obstacles.

If you are able to identify victory in any of these areas - within this realm of athletic training - you will then be able to draw parallels into your own personal life. You will be able transplant the insight you've gained in realizing your physical goals into your personal development. My training has truly been a catalyst in discovering my own personal potential in all areas of my life.

I'm not saying that I'm 'there', by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm going there. Getting there, even.

No comments: