11.11.2007

a marathon? uh, yah...sure.

A few months ago, I made a decision to train to run a marathon. My goal is to be ready in May 2008 for the ING Marathon in Ottawa. Sunday, May 25, 2008 is 'race day', if anyone is keeping track. There are several personal reasons driving me toward this goal - these aren't as important to you as they are to me, and so I won't share them here. But know that they exist.

I've done a bit of (HOURS of) reading, both on and off the internet about marathons, specifically with respect to different training programs. So I've come across several organizations that use marathon training as a tool raise awareness for certain causes/charities, and to raise money. I've investigated the possibilities, and even considered signing onto these programs. Why wouldn't you? It's for a good cause. It gives your training purpose (over and above your own personal reasons). And it makes you accountable.

At some point, it occurred to me that I could use this whole experience (the 'marathon experience') to bring awareness to a cause that affects me a little more personally than the programs that are offered commercially. Plus, alot of my friends, family and co-workers have shown an interest in my progress as a runner. So I thought maybe some of you might take the time to stop here occasionally and check this thing out.

And so that's what this blog business is all about. I'll try to keep it light.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Good luck Gootie! I can't imagine going a quarter that far but with something that important to drive you, then you can go a million miles. Every friend you have is right behind you every step of the way! Well, not literally cuz I'd be on the ground at about mile #2! But in my heart I am there for you! Wish you and your family well. Luv Jenny

Michelle said...

I'm gonna put you in my back pocket, Jenny and take you with me!! :))