12.26.2007

potential new year's resolutions

With Christmas now behind us, it seems that it's time to start looking forward to the new year. For many of us, that means taking inventory of our habits, lifestyles, vices, etc. It is time to consider what constructive modifications we can make to our present situation in order to shape ourselves into the kind of human being that we are satisfied to see looking back at us from the reflection in our bathroom mirrors. I have taken some time this holiday season to contemplate some changes I'd like to make in my life over the coming year.

Invariably for me, each new year begins with several affirmations to make positive changes. I always plunge head first with eagerness into the assignment - or at least with half-assed good intentions. Sometimes I get swept up in the momentum that my resolutions generate. But most often - like so many New Year's Resolutions gone bad before mine - my fresh outlook on life fizzles out within weeks.

Last year, I made lots of New Year's resolutions. I had been through some pretty dramatic life changes in the year before, and set out to fix some of the issues that needed to be addressed. One such promise to myself was to become a runner. I'm still working on that, but I'm proud to say that is the one resolution in my whole life that I've ever stuck to. I'm going to make a list here of all of my New Year's Resolutions for 2008. I know the chances of living up to all of the promises that I make here are slim to none, but if I make one positive change, or alter one negative habit, then this exercise will be a success. It's important to change and grow. In my opinion, there's no easier way to grow bored with oneself then to allow one's evolution to stagnate.

So here they* are:


  1. Run a marathon. [duh]

  2. Get back to the gym, religiously.

  3. Quit smoking. [Don't think I don't know what you're thinking. Shut up.]

  4. Be a better friend.

  5. Spend more quality time with my kids.

  6. Swear more. There's not enough profanity in this world.

  7. Learn something new. I'd like to learn HTML or something to do with web design. [Yes, I'm serious. What...?]

  8. Learn more about Tinnitus.

  9. Make others aware of Tinnitus [duh]

  10. Eat my vegetables (!) and drink 8 glasses of water a day.

  11. Become a Bond girl. [As if this hadn't crossed your mind too.]

  12. Read more.

  13. I'm contemplating getting in touch with my spiritual side [Can you use the word 'contemplate' when discussing New Year's Resolutions?]

  14. Complete the viewing of the Harry Potter series.

*I reserve the right to add to or subtract from this list as I see fit up to and including January 1, 2008.


If there is anyone reading this (Hi, Dad!) good luck with your New Year's resolutions. Let me know what they are via the 'Comments' section of this post...if you are so inclined.


All the best for 2008!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gooty, I am sure that #3 will really help with #6 killing two birds (and anyone else you cross paths with) with one stone.

Ya that is how freaking bored I am.. I am reading a damn blog on a Friday night. Good Times.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Michelle on #3....so far, it's my only resolution for 2008...by focusing on 1 thing only, perhaps it will be a more achievable goal! (= I've got the "Champix" in the medicine cabinet (just in case) and have told my alter-ego, Don't worry, I'm just "cutting back!"...call me if you need any support during the "nic-fits"...I'll be sure to put your number on "speed dial" LOL Happy New Year!