11.19.2007

dead batteries may be a blessing to your eardrums



My iPod is my one of my very favorite things.

In fact, I've flown off the handle in full-on panic-mode on more than one occasion, when I couldn't instantly locate my iPod on my way out the door. This little piece of technology currently holds 45 of my favorite songs.

Tonight (to my absolute horror) the battery in my iPod completely drained itself RIGHT in the MIDDLE of my run (and right in the middle of Machinehead by Bush). And so I had to finish the last 2 miles in silence.

Like, without music.

I'm not gonna lie - I was pissed.

But I got thinking about the noise that my headphones inject into my cranium. I wondered just how many decibels I was exposing my eardrums to on a daily basis. I try to listen to the music at a reasonable level, but I'll admit that there are times when I simply crave the sounds of Pearl Jam, and I MUST crank the volume!!

Yes, I've read the articles that suggest that it isn't really very safe to run with headphones on. But I can't help myself. It's one of the things I like best about my runs - the music.

I'm also aware that some research shows that Tinnitus might be the result of exposure to loud noise.

So, I found this article on the website for the American Tinnitus Association, which contains a chart with common sounds and their decibel levels. It doesn't mention headphones, specifically, but it definitely gives you a practical comparison.

It also occurred to me, that my 12 year old son listens to his iPod frequently. And he rocks OUT to his iPod. Honestly, it's a sight to behold! But I digress...

This article offers some sound advice and guidelines on listening times and volume levels to help protect your kids' ears if they're using earbuds or headphones.

And also, I found out that Apple offers software updates for your iPod to allow you to control the maximum volume output limit on your (or your child's) iPod. There's some interesting information on this site about 'Sound and Hearing', as well.

So, while I ask you to practice caution when using your MP3 players or iPods when you're outdoors (don't want you to get hit by a car!). And to please, please watch your volume levels and exposure to loud noises for extended periods of time, I also encourage you to get your groove on!! At a reasonable volume level, of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

Much like yourself, when Ashley has "mis placed" her I-pod she's too goes into "panic mode!" It's not very often that one is not glued to the other.
After I read this post I immediately called Ashley to the computer to explain what you were doing and thought it would be a good idea for her to read the posts left by you and your dad. Once she had read all the posts and familiarized herself with this new thing called "Tinnitus" she commented on this particular post. She said, "yeah....that's true...you can limit the volume on your I-pod" I then had to remind her how frequently I'm asking her to "turn it down a little".
After some furthur conversation about "T" I reminded her it doesn't go away! She felt sad for the people that have it and knew she NEVER wanted to experience anything like that. EVER!
The next day (I had totally forgotten about the previous nights conversation) I saw her listening to her I-pod. She saw me looking at her and quickly took the ear buds out of her ears and said, "Oh, by the way....last night I went into my I-pod and adjusted the volume so it can only be turned up to half of its normal volume." Thanks Michelle, I owe you one!
-Dana

Michelle said...

Wow, Dana!
Thanks a ton for your comment!
Good job, Ashley for being so responsible with your volume levels. Wish I could get Connor to listen to the same advice.
;)